Resolutions for the new year is a common practice. Unfortunately, January seems to be the grave yard of good intentions. Check out the quotes below to help you keep going and create habits that help you reach your resolutions.
- “Give me a stock clerk with a goal and I’ll give you a man who will make history. Give me a man with no goals and I’ll give you a stock clerk.” J.C. Penny
If you have goals, you will go places in life. Keep this in mind when you don’t feel like you are making progress. The act of striving towards a goal is much more beneficial to growth and doing big things in life than actually achieving a goal you set for yourself.
2. “To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream, not only plan, but also believe.” Anatole France
Don’t loose your passion for life and your joy in pursuit of a goal. Keep dreaming and keep striving and most of all believe in yourself. You can achieve great things.
3. “Goals are not only absolutely necessary to motivate us. They are essential to really keep us alive.” Robert H. Schuller
Having a goal to work towards is a great way to break out of a slump and to feel better about yourself. Without goals you can just float through life without really enjoying the journey.
4. “A goal properly set is halfway reached.” Zig Ziglar
Did you set goals for yourself for the new year? Did you break those goals down into monthly and weekly targets to make them achievable? If you didn’t break your goals for the year down into smaller targets, now is the time to do that. It helps you get little victories early and keeps you focused on a goal. It is easy to put off a goal with an end date one year from now but it is much harder to put off a goal with an end date one week from now.
5. “What gets measured gets improved.” Peter Drucker
Do you have a way a tracking progress on your goals? You should! It is a great way to keep track of how far you came and to make adjustments to your method of reaching your goals.
6. “Long-range planning does not deal with the future decisions, but with the future of present decisions.” Peter Drucker
When you are going for a long term goal it is sometimes hard to remember that every little decision you make adds up to the big picture. If your goal is to lose weight every bite you eat either gets you closer to your goal or farther away from your goal.
7. “Growth demands a temporary surrender of security.” Gail Sheehy
Do your goals scare you? If not they may not be large enough. They should make you uncomfortable so that you grow.
8. “America is build around this premise that you can do it, and there are an awful lot of people who are unlikely to have done it who did.” Michael Bloomberg, Founder, Bloomberg L.P.
If you are trying to achieve something that you are being told can’t be done, take comfort in this.
9. “I always did something I was a little not ready to do. I think that’s how you grow. When there’s that moment of ‘Wow, I’m not really sure I can do this,’ and you push through those moments, that’s when you have a breakthrough.” Marissa Mayer, CEO, Yahoo
There is no better time than the present to start working towards your goals even if you do not feel like you have all your ducks in a row.
10. “Every great idea starts as blasphemy.” Bertrand Russell
If you are getting push back over your goals, take heart in knowing that the pope banished Galileo over something we take as fact today (that fact is that the Sun is the center of the universe and everything revolves around it instead of the Earth being the center of the universe.)